• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo

General Information

The University of Waterloo is located in Waterloo, Ontario and serves over 30 000 students. The University of Waterloo offers a range of academic programs in 6 different faculties, each with their own academic programs and departments:

  • Faculty of Applied Health Science
  • Faculty of Arts
  • Faculty of Engineering
  • Faculty of Environment
  • Faculty of Math
  • Faculty of Science

The address for the University of Waterloo is:

University of Waterloo:
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario  N2L 3G1
(519) 888-4567


Accessibility Services

Accessibility Services

At the University of Waterloo, the accessibility services centre for students is called the AccessAbility Services. AccessAbility Services designs and facilitates student academic accommodation plans, and is the primary place to support your disability related needs.

Accessibility Plan

For more information about accessibility at the University of Waterloo, and their current initiatives to address issues of accessibility, please see the University of Waterloo's Accessibility Plan.

Documentation Required

Students are asked to submit documentation that includes a) a statement of disability, b) disability status (suspected, temporary, or permanent disability), and c) description of functional limitations and how academic participation is restricted. Documentation is used, in part, to determine appropriate accommodations, services and financial support.  

Disability Verification Forms are available on AccessAbility Services’ website, which you can print out and take to your physician, psychiatrist, or other regulated health professional qualified to provide a diagnosis. These forms help to ensure that documentation contains all necessary information.

For students with a Learning Disability: Both a psycho-educational assessment and the Verification of Learning Disability Form are required.

For students with an ADHD diagnosis: Both an Evaluation Report and the Verification of ADHD Forms are required.

Students without a formal diagnosis or without documentation can still apply to AccessAbility Services as a person with a suspected disability. AccessAbility Services can assist individuals with obtaining appropriate documentation, and will determine if interim accommodations pending documentation are required.


For more information about required documentation or how to obtain proof of your disability, contact the University of Waterloo AccessAbility Services directly.

Support Services Available

Health Services

The University of Waterloo Health Services provides primary medical care for all students at the university.

Counselling Services

The University of Waterloo offers Counselling Services for any student who may be experiencing stressful events in their life. Counselling Services offers individual appointments, seminars and workshops, group therapy, and other types of support.

Academic Support

The University of Waterloo Writing and Communications Centre offers a variety of programs to help students with their academic writing.

Peer Mentoring

The MATES (Mentor Assistance Through Educational Support) is a student outreach program which seeks to promote personal life balance, self confidence, resiliency and academic support for students who are currently having academic, social, physical, emotional, cultural, and/or psychological difficulties.

Library Services

The University of Waterloo Library (link is external) offers various resources including databases, journals, e-books, and e-videos. The library also provides services for students such as borrowing services, interlibrary loans, tours, workshops, and online tutorials.

Academic Advising

University of Waterloo offers academic advising services to students in each faculty, to aid in planning and managing their degree requirements.

Financial Aid

Scholarships, Bursaries, and Awards

The University of Waterloo's Student Awards & Financial Aid office offers a range of  financial assistance which consists of merit-based scholarships, need-based bursaries, and awards based on academic achievement. Information regarding University of Waterloo's financial aid is available on their website, as well as complete lists of scholarships, bursaries, awards, and contact information.

Residence and Housing

On-Campus Housing

The University of Waterloo’s Residence Services offers traditional and apartment style accommodations. Residence is guaranteed for first year students provided they complete the necessary application by the given deadline. Traditional style residence units include single or double bedrooms with communal washrooms. Suite style residence units include between 2-4 private bedrooms, shared washroom, shared kitchenette and shared living space. Building amenities for traditional style residence include:

  • Cafeteria in each building
  • Common lounges
  • Common study rooms
  • Access to a 24/7 front desk
  • Maintenance
  • Laundary facilities (also included in suite style)

All rooms come furnished and include internet and basic cable television access. Residence rates vary depending on room and building selection. Meal plans are a mandatory additional cost for students in traditional residence and optional for students in suite-style residence. Different plans are available.

Students requiring special accommodations are encouraged to contact the AccessAbility Services Office on campus after registering for residence. Information about the disabilities that residence at the University of Waterloo can accommodate are detailed on the Accessible Housing of the residence website.

Off-Campus Housing

University of Waterloo students can access off-campus housing information using the Rental Listing Options tab. Students will find advertisements from landlords on available housing.

Getting Around

Campus Accessibility

University of Waterloo offers an accessible campus map showing accessible focal points.

Grand River Transit

Grand River Transit (GRT) is comprised of buses. Full-time students at the University of Waterloo receive a Bus Pass (U-Pass), which provides unlimited access to GRT transit, included in their tuition. Full-time students at Conestoga College are eligible to purchase a 4 month Term College Pass. Schedules and maps are offered for every transit route that GRT provides. The GRT provides the easyGO Mobile Application, which allows users to have instant access to real time transit information.

GRT provides accessible transit with features such as low floors, kneeling features, and a ramp. Users who require a support person to travel with them, can apply for the Transit Support Person Program, which will allow the support person to travel with the user free of charge.

The GRT also offers the MobilityPLUS which is a door-to-door transit service for persons with mobility impairments. MobilityPLUS travels within the Kitchener, Waterloo, and Cambridge city limits. More information about MobilityPLUS and the eligibility guidelines and application is provided on their website.

Academic Programs

The University of Waterloo offers a wide range of academic Programs in their 6 faculties and schools.  Information about academic programs and educational opportunities at the University of Waterloo is available on their website.

Contact Information

AccessAbility Services
(519) 888-4567 ext 35082
Located in Room 1401 Needles Hall

Health Services
(519) 888-4096
Located across from the Student Life Centre

Counselling Service
(519) 888-4567 ext 32655
Located in Needles Hall Extension, 2nd floor, NH 2401

Writing Centre
(519) 888-4567 ext 84410
Located in the South Campus Hall, 2nd floor

University of Waterloo Library
(519) 888-4567

Student Awards & Financial Aid
(519) 888-4567 ext 33583
Located in Needles Hall, 2nd Floor

Residence Services
(519) 888-4567 ext 32679
Located at 200 University Ave West


Use this checklist to create an overview of the services available at University of Waterloo, and to determine if the services meet your needs.