University of Waterloo

Learn about services for students at the University of Waterloo, including their accessibility services, peer and academic support programs, financial aid, campus accessibility, and more.

General Information

The University of Waterloo is located in Waterloo, Ontario with specialized satellite campuses in the nearby cities of Cambridge, Kitchener, and Stratford. With 41,000 students, the University of Waterloo offers a range of academic programs in 6 faculties.

  • Faculty of Applied Health Sciences (Faculty of Health as of January 1, 2021)
  • Faculty of Arts
  • Faculty of Engineering
  • Faculty of Environment
  • Faculty of Mathematics
  • Faculty of Science

The address for the University of Waterloo is:

University of Waterloo:
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario  N2L 3G1
(519) 888-4567

Accessibility Services

Accessibility Services

AccessAbility Services is the University of Waterloo's centralized office for the management of academic accommodations for all students with disabilities, medical conditions, injury, and trauma (e.g., trauma from discrimination, violence, or oppression).  Accommodations are adjustments to rules, requirements, or the environment that ensure you have equal access and opportunities at university.  

AccessAbility Services supports all students (part-time, full-time, domestic, international, undergraduate, graduate students) with accommodations for courses and graduate milestones, including thesis proposals and defenses.  Apply online if you think you require academic accommodations. No diagnosis or medical documentation is needed to get started.  Registration is confidential.  

Accessibility Plan

For more information about accessibility at the University of Waterloo, please see Waterloo’s main accessibility website.

Documentation Requirements

In order to access accommodations, students must provide the following documentation to AccessAbility Services.

  • Learning Disabilities: A psychoeducational assessment and Verification of Learning Disability form
  • ADHD: An evaluation report and Verification of ADHD form
  • Sensory, physical, and medical disabilities, Acquired Brain Injury: documentation from a registered/licensed health care practitioner (verification forms are available)
  • Mental health disability: Verification of Mental Health Disability form

Disability Verification Forms are available on the AccessAbility Services website. Students may be asked for updated information where a disability is identified as temporary or where academic accommodations need to be re-visited over time to ensure that the student's needs are appropriately met. Students may receive interim accommodations pending receipt of documentation.


For more information about required documentation or how to obtain proof of your disability, contact the University of Waterloo AccessAbility Services directly.

Support Services Available

Health Services

The University of Waterloo Student Medical Clinic provides primary medical care for all students at the university, including a Student Medical Clinic that offers health care visits with both male and female doctors and nurses. 


Counselling Services

The University of Waterloo offers Counselling Services for any student who may be experiencing stressful events in their life. Counselling Services offers individual appointments, seminars and workshops, group therapy, and other types of support.


Academic Support

The Student Success Office provides study skills workshops, success coaching, international student support, study abroad, and more. The Writing and Communications Centre offers a variety of programs to help students with their academic writing.


Peer Mentoring

The MATES (Mentor Assistance Through Educational Support) is a one-to-one peer support program offered by the Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association. MATES provides services to students who are experiencing social difficulties or challenges adapting to university life or a different culture.


Academic Advising

Students have access to academic advising in their faculty or program to help with selecting courses, choosing specializations, and meeting degree requirements.


Other Support Services

Financial Aid

Scholarships, Bursaries, and Awards

The University of Waterloo's Student Awards & Financial Aid office offers a range of financial assistance which consists of scholarships, bursaries (based on financial need), and awards based on academic achievement. Waterloo’s Undergraduate Programs website explains scholarships and aid for high school and transfer students applying for admission.

Residence and Housing

On-Campus Housing

The University of Waterloo’s Residence Services offers traditional and apartment style accommodations. Residence is guaranteed for first-year students provided they complete the necessary application by the given deadline. Traditional-style residence units include single or double bedrooms with communal washrooms. Suite-style residence units include between 2-4 private bedrooms, shared washroom, shared kitchenette and shared living space. 

All rooms come furnished and include internet access. Residence rates vary depending on the type of room and residence. Meal plans are a mandatory additional cost for students in traditional residence and optional for students in suite-style residence. Different plans are available.

Students requiring special accommodations are encouraged to contact the AccessAbility Services Office on campus after registering for residence. Waterloo also offers Accessible Housing.


Off-Campus Housing

University of Waterloo students can access off-campus housing information using the students tab. Students will find advertisements from landlords on available housing.

Getting Around

Campus Accessibility

University of Waterloo offers an accessible campus map showing accessible building access and parking.


Grand River Transit

Grand River Transit (GRT) offers an extensive bus and light rail transit system. Full-time students at the University of Waterloo receive a transit pass (U-Pass), which provides unlimited access to GRT transit. GRT provides the easyGO Mobile Application, which allows users to have instant access to real-time transit information.


GRT provides accessible transit with features such as low floors, kneeling features, and a ramp. Users who require a support person to travel with them, can apply for the Transit Support Person Program, which will allow the support person to travel with the user free of charge.

The GRT also offers the MobilityPLUS which is a door-to-door transit service for persons with mobility impairments. 

Academic Programs

The University of Waterloo offers a wide range of undergraduate programs (for high school and transfer students) as well as master’s and doctoral programs.  

Contact Information

AccessAbility Services
(519) 888-4567 ext 45231 or 47922
Located in Room 1401 Needles Hall North

Health Services
(519) 888-4096
Located across from the Student Life Centre

Counselling Services
(519) 888-4567 ext 32655
Located in Needles Hall Extension, 2nd floor, NH 2401

Writing and Communication Centre
519-888-4567 ext 40436
South Campus Hall, 2nd floor

University of Waterloo Library
519-888-4567 ext 84883

Student Awards & Financial Aid
(519) 888-4567 ext 33583
Located in Needles Hall, 2nd Floor

Waterloo Residences
(519) 888-4567 ext 32679
Located at 200 University Avenue West

Print Friendly and PDF