University of Windsor

Learn about services for students at Windsor University, including their accessibility services, peer and academic support programs, financial aid, campus accessibility, and more.

General Information

The University of Windsor is located in Windsor, Ontario and serves over 12,000 undergraduate students. Windsor offers almost 800 distinct undergraduate programs in their 9 schools and faculties:

  • Faculty of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences
  • Faculty of Education
  • Faculty of Engineering
  • Faculty of Graduate Studies
  • Faculty of Human Kinetics
  • Faculty of Law
  • Faculty of Nursing
  • Odette School of Business
  • Faculty of Science

The downtown campus is home to the School of Social Work and the School of Creative Arts.

The address for the University of Windsor is:

University of Windsor:
401 Sunset Avenue
Windsor, Ontario  N9B 3P4
(519) 253-3000

University of Windsor (downtown campus):
167 Ferry Street
Windsor, Ontario  N9A 0C5
(519) 253-3000

Accessibility Services

Accessibility Services

At the University of Windsor, the office providing accessibility services for students is called Student Accessibility Services. Student Accessibility Services is the primary place to find out about all of your disability related needs.


Transition Programs

The University of Windsor offers two transition programs for students with learning disabilities and/or ADHD. The BUILD Program helps students transition from high school to university, and runs in August. The CUSP Program is for students to weigh their options and explore college and university options, and runs in October. 


Accessibility Plan

For more information about accessibility at the University of Windsor, and their current initiatives to address issues of accessibility, please see the University of Windsor's Accessibility Plan, or visit the Office of Human Rights, Equity & Accessibility website

Documentation Requirements

To access accommodations, students must submit the required documentation to Student Accessibility Services. Students are strongly advised to have their existing documentation reviewed by an Advisor in Student Accessibility Services as a first step in determining individual documentation needs. The Student Accessibility Services has detailed information on the documentation required for each category of disability. This information is summarized below, however it is also recommended that students visit their website for more specific and comprehensive information.

Learning Disabilities

  • A psychoeducational assessment conducted within the last 3-5 years, which includes a definite diagnosis from a psychologist, psychiatrist or physician with appropriate training in neuropsychological disorders, test results from a comprehensive set of psychological tests, and recommendations for academic accommodations.


  • Documentation for ADHD must be based on the current DSM and come from a psychologist, a psychiatrist or a physician with appropriate training in neuropsychological disorders and must demonstrate the presence of hyperactive-impulsive or inattentive symptoms that cause impairment, include an investigation of a family history of ADHD and other educational, learning, physical, or psychological difficulties deemed relevant by the examiner, and make recommendations which includes a rationale for recommended academic accommodations.

For Physical or Medical Disabilities

  • Documentation from a physician or specialist in the area of disability that details treatment and plan(s) for follow-up, reviews medications and their possible effects on academic performance, discusses the impact of the disability on academic functioning, and includes a rationale for any academic accommodations being recommended.
  • Chronic medical conditions may be documented by medical specialists or appropriate health care professionals/providers using the Medical Certificate form, however students are strongly advised to have their existing documentation reviewed by an advisor in Student Accessibility Services before proceeding to this step.
  • When providing medical documentation for physical or medical disabilities, students/physicians are not required to disclose diagnosis.  Only the conditions or symptoms or actual recommended accommodations need to be communicated.

For Mental Health Conditions

  • Documentation from a psychologist, psychiatrist, family doctor who is familiar with your case, or a registered clinical social worker that is based on an evaluation conducted within the last 6 months, includes relevant medical history and information about the effects your condition may have on your academic performance, identifies medications you are currently taking, and their potential effects on your academic performance and suggests academic accommodations that are necessary as a direct consequence of the diagnosed condition.
  • When providing medical documentation for a mental health condition, students/physicians are not required to disclose diagnosis.  Only the conditions or symptoms or actual recommended accommodations need to be communicated.


Additional information about specific documentation requirements for all disability types is available on the Student Accessibility Services website or by contacting their office.

Support Services Available

Health Services

Student Health Services at the University of Windsor provides the same services as your family physician’s office.


Counselling Services

The University of Windsor's Counselling Centre offers counselling for any student who may be experiencing stressful events in their life.


Academic Support

The Student Success and Leadership Centre offers a wide variety of services, programs and resources that assist University of Windsor students.  Resources include the Writing Support Desk, a Peer Support Centre where students can drop in to find a supportive peer to talk to, and Skills to Enhance Personal Success (STEPS) which offers sessions to help students enhance their learning and study skills. Connecting4Success (C4S) is a mentorship program designed to meet the needs of incoming First Generation students to support their transition to the University of Windsor. 


Library Services

The University of Windsor’s Leddy Library offers various resources for students including databases, journals, e-books, and e-videos. The Leddy Library also provides services for students such as borrowing services, course reserves, research, writing, and computer help.


Academic Advising

The University of Windsor offers academic advising services to students to assist with choosing or changing programs, understanding degree requirements, and dealing with academic difficulties.


Other Support Services

Financial Aid

Scholarships, Bursaries, and Awards

The University of Windsor offers many scholarships, bursaries, and awards which are based both on academic merit and financial need. The Student Awards & Financial Aid Office provides information about scholarships, bursaries, and awards and further information on receiving financial aid.

Residence and Housing

On-Campus Housing

The University of Windsor’s Residence Office offers traditional and suite style residence for incoming first year students. Residence is guaranteed for all first year students provided they submit their application and deposit by the deadline. Traditional style residence includes single and double rooms with communal washrooms on co-ed or single gender floors. Suite style residence includes 2 private bedrooms, a shared washroom, and shared common area. All building amenities include:

  • Common lounges
  • Common study areas
  • Common kitchens
  • Access to a 24/7 front desk
  • Maintenance
  • Laundry facilities

All rooms in residence include internet access, phone line and cable television hookup. Residence rates vary depending on room and building selection. Meal plans are mandatory and operate on a declining balance system.

Residence Services at the University of Windsor works with Student Accessibility Services to provide special accommodations for students. Students who require special requirements must complete the process as outlined in the Special Needs & Accommodations web page.


Off-Campus Housing

The University of Windsor has an Off-Campus Housing webpage which provides information about housing options for students. 

Getting Around

Campus Accessibility

The University of Windsor offers a campus map highlighting accessible entrances, washrooms and Handi Transit stops.


Windsor Transit

Windsor Transit operates the public transit bus service for the municipality of the City of Windsor. A universal student bus pass (U-Pass) has been negotiated for full time undergraduate and graduate students, allowing members to have unlimited rides on the regular Transit Windsor city service during the school year. Schedules and maps are offered for every transit route that Transit Windsor provides.


Transit Windsor uses fully accessible buses on some routes, which are indicated on the published schedules when they are in service. These buses are low-floor buses with ramps, and space for two wheelchairs or scooters. Drivers will call all stops that have been requested by passengers.

Transit Windsor offers Handi-Transit which is a curb to curb transit service for persons with disabilities, who due to their disability are unable to use the conventional transit. Persons interested in using Handi-Transit must have their doctor complete the eligibility documentation form. The form can be received by going to Transit Windsor, or by calling.

Academic Programs

The University of Windsor offers almost 800 distinct Academic Programs in their 9 faculties. Information about the academic programs and educational opportunities at the University of Windsor is available on their website.

Contact Information

Student Accessibility Services
(519) 253-3000 ext 6172
Located in Dillion Hall (Lower Level)

Health Services
(519) 973-7002
Located in Room 242 CAWSC

Counselling Centre 
(519) 253-3000 ext 4616
Located in Room 293 CAW Student Center, 2nd floor

Student Success and Leadership Centre
(519) 253-3000 ext 1414
Located in Room 111, Dillon Hall

Skills to Enhance Personal Success (STEPS)
(519) 253-3000 ext 6172
Located in Dillon Hall (Lower Level)

Leddy Library
(519) 253-3000 ext 3402

Financial Aid
(519) 253-3000 ext 3300
Located in Chrysler Hall Tower, Room 102

(519) 253-3000 ext 3279
Located in Vanier Hall, Room 49

Print Friendly and PDF